Tuesday, March 16, 2010

The Joy of Julia

My life was {happily} not my own today. Julia Child took it over with a vengence, and with the kids away, I read her instructions, salivated heavily and crossed my fingers that today would be the day I would find - most likely out of season - small white boiler onions. Five stores later (jeeeezus) I found some, along with my other ingredients to make her famously fabulous Boeuf Bourguignon - mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. It was about one o'clock when I began. Having read the recipe three times, I read it all over again - gawd her recipes ARE long, but so informative!

I pride myself on being a pretty good cook (aka. I can follow a recipe relatively well, and have been known to improvise well when needed). But there are things that I've learned from Julia in the last few months that I had NEVER known before! I now know how to make ten second omelettes that are to die for , I've never ever in my life known how to 'properly' brown mushrooms - OH MY GOD, WHERE HAVE THESE BABIES BEEN? THEY ARE LIKE CANDY! And today I learned about the rind in bacon, how to blanch bacon, how to properly brown meat, what flour can really do to meat, how to brown braise those cute little onions.....









Today I made Boeuf Bourguignon, thanks to Julia Child.
Dinner for two was at 6pm. And it was amaaaazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment