Thursday, April 15, 2010

Ode to the lilac

There are about two weeks every year that are my favorite weeks of the year for scent. One scent. For me its so intoxicating it takes me right back to childhood - to potent memories of spring. And then it takes me to the year when I was 22, and I could fill my house with this loveliest of scent. That year my girlfriends and I filled every vase we could with these beautiful blooms and I could not believe my joy at having that beautiful aroma fill my house.

Lilacs. Truly one of my favorite smells on the planet.

In my last house, we had two lilac trees that my sister in law had planted, but they were so crowded out by other bushes that all they produced the last couple years we were there were two pathetic little blooms. Even so, those blooms were gathered up into a vase in my house so I could enjoy their sweet scent for those amazing few days.

And then we moved to this house. Jackpot! I now have two huge established lilac trees that produce both soft purple and white blooms in huge quantity. Of course the most perfect and beautiful of the blooms are a little harder to get to, but I'm patient and determined. These babies only last for two weeks in April every year and then they are gone for another 11 1/2 months.

This morning I walked out into my living room after I got up, and instead of the mouthwatering aroma of espresso being my perk-me-up, its my lilacs. I have them all over the house, delicately scenting our lives. Until they begin to wilt and ferment a bit (yes, they take on a certain smell when they go - really quite strange), I will enjoy every moment of lilac season.

I will close my eyes and think back to childhood spring. I will close my eyes and think back to my 22nd spring. I will close my eyes and feel grateful for yet another gift we are given as the owners of our home.

1 comment:

  1. beautiful picture, beautiful post and I agree Liliacs are just amazing .

    ReplyDelete