Thursday, February 25, 2010

part one - complete


After 58 days and more than 300 reasons to be grateful, I'm happy to say that my first *new* habit of 2010 has firmly taken ahold of my life! I actually thought this habit would be hard to establish at first - especially given its a habit I chose to maintain every night before I go to bed. MANY nights I am getting up from my sleepy stupor on the living room couch, and making my way to a dark bedroom where Guy is sleepily snoring. On those nights I've had to sneak into the room, grab my gratitude journal and pen, and sneak into the bathroom to jot down what I'm feeling particularly blessed about that day.

But last night I realized something really profound. I have gone to bed every single night since this habit experiment feeling hopeful. Never feeling angry about the events of the day. And if there was any lingering frustration over how my day went, those feelings lessened somewhat once I was forced to recount at least five reasons to overlook those frustrations. Five reasons to feel grateful for my life. And really, for all intents and purposes... it was never hard. There may have been one or two nights where it was all I could do to pull those feelings out of the air, (and I can tell in reading my journal just which days those were!), but for the most part, the moments I was grateful for, and the feelings that I had came tumbling out of my and into my journal.

Some recurring themes certainly sprang up, like family and health, my marriage, my friends, my home, and little things like something that was said, or a card that was left, or an unsoliciated gesture or hand to help when I needed it. And these are totally the things that I hold dear in my life.

That, and cherry blossoms snowing down on my birthday today. Totally magical...


No comments:

Post a Comment